The Symbols of State Medallions

In 1993, J. Kenneth Leap was commissioned by the New Jersey State Council on the Arts to create a series of windows for the State House Annex in Trenton. The Annex, which was built in the 1930's originally housed the collections of the New Jersey State Museum and the New Jersey State Library. A series of stained glass windows was made for the museum galleries by William Sotter of Holicong, PA in 1933. These panels were severely deteriorated and required restoration. Only 7 of the original decorative medallion panels could be salvaged.

For the first phase of this project, J. Kenneth Leap was asked to look at these panels and design 10 new works to complete the series.The panels are titled, The Symbols of State Medallions. Each panel is approximately 3' H x 2' W. They were fabricated under his direction by the Lynn Hovey Studio of Boston, MA, and incorporated into the original backgrounds by the Cummings Studio of North Adams, MA.

CLICK image to advance

This project was made possible by the New Jersey State Council on the Arts